Sunday, June 14, 2009

MEN!


In a young woman's world, say, aged between 18 - 30, the topics most talked about are fashion, movies/series like Desperate Housewives, Sex & the City), or the breathtaking dudes in Prison Break, going out proggie, what happened, who is dating who, who broke up, who is having a baby, who is getting married, et cetera..... then the best of it all is, MEN! These species NEVER miss in the picture. I mean, how can they? It would be inhumane. LOL!
The conversation is something like this (and I'm not making this up, honest):

NICOLE: I don't understand this stuff where a guy expects you to be all over him all the time!
SUZAN: Oh Nicole, you need to show a brotha some affection and attention, you know, give him some sweet L-O-V-I-N-G! {laughs}
TRACY: We all know you Sue, you never wasted your time on guys. I personally can't keep calling up a guy I like if he almost never calls or texts me on my cell.
NICOLE: Exactly! Me too. What's up with guys? I just don't get it.
LISA: {Shyly} I call my boyfriend most of the time. He calls too.

Silence as Nicole and Tracy look at Lisa in disbelief. Suzan is amused.

SUZAN: Well honey, keep doing that. At least he will be sure where your heart lies and he won't doubt your feelings for him.
LISA: Really?
TRACY: No, no, no. That will make him take you for granted. Take my ex-boyfriend Greg, for example, he used to call me up every hour of every day-imagine that- yes- alot of communication. Anyway, when we finally became an item, you know, dating, the calls and messages reduced as time went by. Whenever I rung him, it felt like I was nagging him or something.
LISA: So what happened?
SUZAN: Look girls, I'm the married one here. I know these things. You give a guy space and he'll find someone else so stick to him like glue. Make him feel adored.
TRACY: Ugh!
NICOLE: Come on sue, look where that got you with Brian! You used to do all that and yet he dumped you for someone else leaving you heart broken but now, you're married to Mark- who by the way- you never gave time to see you when he was making moves!
LISA: {Surprised & confused} Sue, what's the truth here? How did you end up being married to Mark then?
NICOLE: Yeah. {Ironically} Tell us so we can get some tips.
SUZAN: {Laughs heartily} You girls never cease to amuse me. Of course it's different for everyone. I don't have the answers. {Sighs} Sometimes what you least expect happens but it's good. I played hard to get with Mark- not that it was my intention but I was still hurting from my break up with Brian. I didn't want to have excess baggage if I got involved with Mark. I guess Mark truly had genuine feelings for me because we had only been on a couple of dates when he first proposed. It was our first anniversary together.
NICOLE & LISA: {dreamily} Ooooooooh!
TRACY: Cut the love tales! The fact remains that most guys take us for granted.
SUZAN: {pretends to clear her throat}
TRACY: Uh- except Mark. {grins at Suzan and they all giggle}
SUZAN: Hey Lisa, don't get too worried when your boyfi doesn't call sometimes. There can be good reasons why and come on, we don't expect the men to do all the work now, do we? A man makes the first move, he takes you out on a date, he sends nice texts or calls to say hello, buys you gifts and blah blah blah. What are you doing on your side girls? Simply waiting? It takes two to make it work.
TRACY: Oh no. {Rolls her eyes}
SUZAN: Tracy, you know the reason you're responding like that. Derek cares alot about you and he's been calling endlessly trying to talk to you. Why can't you return his calls? Is it because he stood you up on your birthday? He told you why, he had to travel suddenly, work stuff.
LISA: What?
NICOLE: Exactly. What?
TRACY: {Looking guilty} It's not what you think...
SUZAN: Derek actually calls her now more than she does ever since she started pretending to be busy.

Nicole and Lisa stare at Tracy dumbfounded.

TRACY: Hey girls, I acted less available and he started looking for me and trying to get time out with me. See? It helps to play the hard card sometimes. I was too 'out there', now, it's his turn. He's doing all the calling, isn't it nice when both sides of the cheek feel the same pinch? {she smirks}

The girls all nod in agreement.

LISA: You are tricky.
TRACY: {She gets off the couch and says this as she bows} I try to be sistas, I try. I will call him soon though.

They all laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Cleo,Men are unpredictable sometimes. Some get irritated by your phone calls. others love it when you call them although it has to be a once in a while thing.

    My boyfriend, wants me to check on him as much as he does check on me. So i guess we ladies also have to know how much to call a man. Most ladies call too much and tell the guy so much and sometimes he doesn't need to know as a result he gets irritated. In other words we should be able to learn each other. That is the importance of dating.

    We both give each other almost as equal attention but of course me being a lady, i do it more ie. a bit of pampering which he loves. Some men love to be treated like babies.That is why giving a man some attention sometimes is a good thing, its not always a bad a thing. Once again i repeat that is the importance of learning each other. sometimes you may get it wrong but remember its a learning process. Mk.O.

    ReplyDelete