Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I am NOT my hair!!

Many of us go through transformations at some point in our lives, some of us more than others. When this happens in my life, I refer to it as 'going through a transition'. Yes, I have been through it. It was in 2008 December that I decided to cut off my hair and start growing dreadlocks... some people thought me insane but then the look grew on them and now they do not want me to cut my dreads off. ;) I am powerless without the dreads & will lose my super natural strength once they are cut off. Hee hee hee heeee...
Anyway, a friend of mine recently decided to SHAVE off all his hair.... You may know him; popular guy, plays the guitar, has a soulful voice and a strong persona that you may mistake him for having a big ego but it is not bad. His name is Maurice Kirya. Some of you may say "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WAS HE THINKING??!!"Don't ask me, I do not know but here are my guesses:
 
1. Too tired of his hair and the heat was not helping the situation so he thought what better way than to shave it all off.
2. Had an outbreak of lice. (boo ha ha ha ha ha ha!)
3. Undergoing chemotherapy (doubt it!)
4. Got a big time film role and is required to be bald. (Hey, why not take the dollars, the hair will grow back anyway.)
5. Became a monk
6. A new look for his 2O12 album
7. Starting a new chapter in his life so this is his way of shedding off the past. (THIS MUST BE IT!)


Although it may take you a few seconds or a minute to recognize Maurice Kirya now, I personally like the new look and it has given him a strong masculine edge like that of Michael Jordan, Common, or Djimon Hounsou-- unlike the "too cute" Afro style he had before. Who comes to mind now when I see Maurice? Um, let me see... ..... Ah, yes! Boris Kodjoe--NOT that they look alike, don't get me wrong, but the facial features stand out the same way.
Lots of personalities have shaved off their hair at some point and still looked good; Lenny Kravitz, Brian McKnight, Tyrese, Bruce Willis... the list is endless.
So which look did you prefer? I do not mind either as long as he keeps making great music. He is not his hair and neither are you. It's all in the mind so you can do everything you are skilled/talented at with or without your hair! This does not mean go and do something drastic to your hair like Britney Spears did. ;)
xoxo



 

No comments:

Post a Comment