Monday, December 31, 2012

MY 2012 was ...

Where do I start?
2012 has been crazy! And by crazy, I mean hectic! Phew! When the year was starting, I believed it was going to be an amazing and awesome year for me. Why? Because I love even numbers. You know, like, "2,4,6,8,10" etc. You get it? So 2012 was an even year, so I thought, "This owe to be great!"
I was not so wrong, but neither was I right. 2012 was ... Oh well, let's round it off together, perhaps you will help me conclude with ONE WORD to describe my year.

1. At the start of the year, I really had no stable job. Yes I act and sing but those depend a lot on if one has lots of gigs booked- which I sort of did not. So the year started off really slow.

2. The magazine for which I wrote for also took a break to sort out some issues so that was a downer.

3. Good thing I had my radio job which I enjoy and my colleagues and bosses are awesome!! :) So that kept me on my feet. It gave me something to look forward to each day.

4. A book project in which I was a part of as a writer started off well with good money too besides loving to do it but then it came to a standstill and took forever to kick off again. As I type, things are looking up again.

5. A documentary in which I worked as the interviewer went well and boy was I busy those months, the team and I ensuring we shoot and get all we need to make it top notch. After we handed in the documentary, which was like many months ago, we have not received a penny for our hardwork. That was such a big downer for me and I hate it. I find people who work like this REALLY unprofessional and inconsiderate. I am sure you know what I mean because many a Ugandan do this. Get a service given and then they are reluctant or too slow to pay up- yet they were calling everyday before as you did the work, but now you call to ask about your payment, and suddenly they are busy or not available or they just don't answer or they keep making empty promises.. blah, blah, blah!

Anyway, moving on.

6. I broke up with my long term boyfriend (end last year). Yes. I was dating someone but realised we were on two different chapters of our lives so I thought it best to let go and move on. It has been the best decision I have made all year! I feel so much better. I am more fulfilled- spiritually, emotionally & mentally uplifted. :) 

7. It was my late father's memorial this year in August and it took a toll on me. Sadness, depression, lots of questions unanswered... etc. I mean, that is what you feel when your dad is murdered for unclear reasons. His body was never found so he was never buried. We had to make a plaque for him and my aunt with whom he was killed. I had to write a message on it that was deep and close to my heart. Then we travelled all the way to the village, where the ceremony was held. A lot was going on in my life already, this was another downer. The good side of it though is that finally there is a tombstone with my father's name & picture on it. It was a form of closure for me. Rest in peace dad.

8. My music recording has been going well so far and I am glad the public is receiving my new song well. More singles are set to come out in 2013 so yes, this has been an upside for me. Got to perform at Ruth Komuntale's (the Tooro Princess) welcome party with her fiance, performed at Club Amnesia which premiered my video for my single "Party on My Mind", had a number of press interviews about my work, met amazing people; so I thank God for all the opportunities he has accorded me in 2012.

9. I got nominations for my work:
- In the current Radio & TV Academy Awards 2012 for OUTSTANDING NEWCOMER FEMALE RADIO PRESENTER (I co-host a show dubbed "THE JAM" at Radiocity 97fm, every Monday to Friday, 3pm-7pm) https://www.facebook.com/radiocity.ug?ref=ts&fref=ts
The voting is still ongoing online at  http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/hLQsAr-/RTV-ACADEMY-AWARDS-2013-WHO-MIGHT-WIN?view_quiz=1
If you are in Uganda, you can also vote by SMS. Simply type: RTVA Cleopatra 12
 and then send to 8888.

- MOST GIFTED ACTRESS in the Super Talent Awards 2012
-In the Pearl International Film Festival 2012 for BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS in the film, State Research Bureau.
Being acknowledged for my work is humbling and it makes work even harder. I take nothing for granted.

10. Lastly, I got to do a lot of inspirational talks to students in schools with Reach a Hand Uganda, a charity organisation that focuses on the youths, and I am a Goodwill Ambassador. It was inspiring to me too and sharing with these young people, encouraging and mentoring them is my way of giving back to the community.   http://www.reachahand.org/

11. Ofcourse a few friends disappointed me.... and I guess I disappointed a few too, but this is life. We cannot please everyone. We win some, lose some. I have come to terms with it. I hope you have too.

12. Those who owe me money do not seem like they want to pay me back. Sucks!

Well, 2012 was ....... for me. (You can fill in the blank)
I pray 2013 is way much better for me and for you. It's no longer about "Odds" and "Evens". I do not believe in that anymore, thanks to 2012. Let's toast to the future! Cheers. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Been away a little bit, although being back i thought i would find something new for Jan 2013 by now. Anyway, just dropped by to Halla!...and FYI did you know that a huge percentage of people feel uncomfortable when the TV volume is an odd number or that many others have to eat things like snacks such as biscuits or sweets in pairs hehehe...Guess you're not alone with the even numbers huh?...Also, it's non of my business but since you're the one who put it on the internet, here goes, i like the dumping boyfriend part :) he probably deserved it (am a guy so i know). Like they say, you don't know what you have till it's gone. Everyone deserves better and to be truly happier too (Spiritually as well as Physically and Emotionally). Anyway don't let me get all "Oprah" up in here hehehe...Later! Oh and you might want to read that book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man" by Steve Harvey before you get back out there. It Shows ladies how men think. Note however that many people disagree with his 90-day rule, they think he should have said till...you know, nuptials. You'll know when you read it and i hope you're one of those who disagrees with it too because as a guy i truly think ladies should be better than that as well and just wait. But overall it's a very good read for ladies. Now this comment is so long it's starting to feel like the blog is mine hehe...anyway Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The will to live gives us strength to move on. Forget the disappointments of the past and simply live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog you have here but I was wanting to know
    if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!

    Look into my web blog wieviel fett bei paleo

    ReplyDelete